Thursday, May 12, 2005

Sabah on my Mind

A lot has happened since I came back from Sabah, but comparing all the little thing I have done there and the little things that I have done here, the things I did in Sabah is almost incomparable. Serve Sabah 2005 has been a life changing experience. Though it is the most important experience in my life, it has certainly helped me grow and mature.

Not many would have known this. I have a problem talking with girls. Yes I have a problem talking to girls, just being around them felt awkward and no I’m not gay, I like girls and now & then I still have crushes on sweet looking girls. I just found it awkward. Awkward not because I am sprouting rubbish but awkward because there is an unbearable silence. After coming to Poly, my whole had almost been in a total mess. No, my results were acceptable, I had a CCA and I had rather good friends in and out of school but I always felt that there was something missing. I always felt empty and thought that the problem was there I didn’t have a partner who could share my joys and woes. But in actual fact, the problem wasn’t that. It was me, I was very much insecure and wanted attention, just like a kid. The trip has helped me find my confidence, don’t mistake it for arrogance because it’s not.

One more thing about being in Sabah was it taught me not to continuously pursue material goods. So what if you prosess such things, will it make you happier. The trip has taught me to make do with the things I have. After I have returned to Singapore, I have to say that I have not on the heater to shower, not even once, not even when I’m showering at 12mn.

There was something interesting about that I discovered about Singaporean. That is the way we reacted to people crying. To me, crying is nothing to be shameful. It is not a sign of weakness. It however, is evidence of our humanity, our ability to feel, and to let people know how we feel. We are just human, not robots

But like everything moment in life, all things will eventually come to an end and so has my 17 days in Sabah with a family of 20 distinctively different individuals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home